Ways to Give

Giving from Your IRA

Using your IRA to make charitable gifts, also called a Qualified Charitable Distribution or QCD, can reduce your income and save you taxes. Sounds too good to be true? Read on!

Donors are taking advantage of provisions in the tax code that allow you to make a direct transfer from your traditional IRA to qualified charities -- like CASA of Allegheny County, as part of your annual RMD (required minimum distribution). While it’s not considered income as your RMD normally is, you forgo a charitable income tax deduction. Thus, you meet your annual RMD and reduce your taxable income, a win for you and the charity.

To make a QCD, you must be age 70 ½ or more (allowable even if you do not have to begin making withdrawals until age 72) and, this is key, the funds must go directly to the charity and not held in your name. You and your spouse each can give up to $100,000 annually if you each have a traditional IRA up to the amount that would be considered income, and the transfer must be complete by December 31st each year. Your IRA custodian (e.g., Schwab, Vanguard, Fidelity and TIAA) has instructions on how to carry out your goal of being a champion for abused and neglected kids in Allegheny County.

While this is not tax or legal advice, we encourage you to talk with your tax professional or IRA custodian. If we can help you, please contact CASA for assistance.

Give Online

Contribute to CASA of Allegheny County via our secure process and know that you have helped to change the life of an at-risk child.


To send your check to CASA, our mailing address is

CASA of Allegheny County
564 Forbes Avenue, Ste 1302
Pittsburgh, PA 15219

Sponsor a Child Society

You, your family, your company or group of friends can sponsor one child in Allegheny County through no fault of their own. Members of the Sponsor a Child Society (SACS) commit to contributing $2,000 a year for five years. For $5.48/day you can change the life of a child assigned a CASA by the Family Court system, ensuring every child has a voice.  For more information on the Sponsor a Child Society, please contact development@pgh-casa.org.

Tribute Gifts/ In Memory or Honor

Consider giving to CASA of Allegheny County in memory or honor of a loved one or friend to continue their legacy of making a difference in the life of an abused child. Tribute gifts can be made at https://pgh-casa.org/donate/#donate or from Support CASA at the homepage. For more information, please contact development@pgh-casa.org.

United Way Donor Choice Agency #802

Our local United Way is a powerful force for good that supports charitable organizations across Southwestern Pennsylvania. Remember the at-risk children we serve when you take part in your employer’s United Way Campaign and designate your gift to the CASA Program/Allegheny County, Agency Code #802. Your financial support through United Way will help ensure uninterrupted advocacy for the children we serve and extend our reach to more children in need.

Planned Giving Opportunities

Have you considered making CASA of Allegheny County a beneficiary in your will or estate plan or beneficiary (percentage or dollar amount) of your retirement plan? How about the owner and/or beneficiary of a life insurance policy you no longer need? If you would like to talk about options, contact Karen Galentine at kgalentine@pgh-casa.org or 412-594-3606, or development@pgh-casa.org.

Corporate Sponsorship

Sponsorship packages are available for CASA of Allegheny County events and programs. For information on how to expose your brand to loyal groups of CASA supporters, contact development@pgh-casa.org.

In-Kind Donations

In-kind donations support recruiting, training and supervising volunteers, ultimately allowing compassionate adults to fight for a child's right to be safe, treated with dignity, and grow in the security of a loving home. Please contact us at info@pgh-casa.org for a list of frequently needed items.